What is a reference list and how is it used?
Ref-er-ence n. [a previous or current; colleagues, staff at IUPUI or previous institutions, advisers, employers, supervisor, professor/teacher, customer/client you have served, volunteer contact, coaches/teammates, club/organization adviser/members, who can speak to your skills and strengths]
Formatting Your Reference List
When completing a list of references, always format the contact information of your reference list like your resume. Be sure to include the following information in your references:
- Position title
- Name of company or organization
- Phone number
- E-mail address
- Relationship to you (e.g., former supervisor, colleague)
Quick Tips for Reference Lists
- Follow the application instructions; i.e. if they ask for three references, provide three references.
- If a list of references is not requested, plan to take a few copies of references to your interview
- Always ask individuals to be your references ahead of submitting the list. Give your references ample notice of when they may be contacted.
- Ensure your references are kept in the loop on the position descriptions you are applying for once you receive word you will be interviewed.
- Always send a formal thank you to your references.