Supervisors of student employees encounter unique challenges and opportunities to support students as employees and employees as students. They must also learn how to promote work, life, and school balance for their student employees. The JAGUAR Supervisor Training Program focuses on creating a balance between those roles and on guiding supervisors to confidently and competently create a meaningful work experience for IUPUI students.
Interactive and Action-Driven Sessions
Through the JAGUAR Supervisor Training Program, participants will develop knowledge and skills to:
- Enhance student employment programs or positions and clarify roles and responsibilities
- Understand and remain in compliance with university, state, and federal policies that impact and guide student employment
- Practice student employee supervision techniques through role-plays, scenarios, and best practice sharing
- Strengthen communication and positive supervisory relationships with student employees
- Support student employee academic, professional, and career development
- Integrate academic and career relevance into assignments, positions, and programs
- Understand and adapt supervisor delegation styles, as well as establish realistic and challenging expectations
- Demonstrate student employee appreciation and enhance overall student employee engagement
- Utilize performance management tools and processes that emphasize student employee reflection and skill development
Click here to view the specific topics and learning objectives of the program.
Who should participate?
The JAGUAR Supervisor Training Program is designed specifically for IUPUI staff and faculty who:
- Currently supervise student employees
- May supervise student employees in the future
- Work collaboratively with student employees
- Administer the student employee hiring and payroll process
- Coach others who supervise and work with student employees
IUPUI community work-study supervisors and partners are also encouraged to participate in the program.
What are participants saying?
- Feedback shows that 100% of participants report they have changed or intend to change behavior and practices in their supervision roles as a result of the program.
- "I have learned how important it is to communicate often and honestly with students so that they are receiving feedback, advice, and information that allows them the absolute best possibility to succeed in their position."
- "It was a great experience, well worth the time commitment."
- "I wholeheartedly believe every employee that supervises students at IUPUI should be required to take this course."
"It was much more information than I anticipated—and it was 'real' information that can be put into practice."
- "I feel that every session that I was able to participate in gave me some great 'takeaways' that I could use immediately. I would recommend this program to everyone who interacts with student employees."
- The JAGUAR Supervisor Training Program does not currently have any future scheduled dates. Consider attending one or more of our brown bag workshops.
For questions regarding the JAGUAR Supervisor Training Program or professional development for supervisors of student employees, please contact us at 317-274-4856 or firstname.lastname@example.org.