For the Office of Student Employment, student employment is all about Learning While Earning and empowering students to pursue and succeed in meaningful, academically relevant college work experiences that enhance both academic and professional growth.
You, as an employer, play a critical role in creating the Learning While Earning environment for students as employees and employees as students. In addition, employing IUPUI students offers numerous benefits for both your department or organization and IUPUI students.
Students studying at IUPUI gain a well-rounded education based on the IUPUI Principles of Undergraduate Learning (PULs). This means the IUPUI students you hire are developing core communication skills, quantitative skills, and critical thinking skills. They acquire the ability to integrate and apply knowledge, as well as develop intellectual depth, breadth, and adaptiveness. They also possess values and understand society and culture.
Benefits of Student Employment to Employers
On- and off-campus employers have the opportunity to both shape future professionals and leverage IUPUI talent through:
- Creating an environment where IUPUI students can apply their classroom knowledge on the job and bring the work experience you facilitate back into the classroom to share with students and faculty. This connection is achieved through integrating the IUPUI Principles of Undergraduate Learning (PULs) into student employment experiences.
- Utilizing the diverse skill sets and experiences of IUPUI students to bring new ideas, perspectives, and research into your department or organization.
- Impacting students’ understanding of a professional work environment and training students on the critical behaviors, knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to be a successful professional in your sector.
- Developing a pipeline of talent by retaining students through multiple positions; for many employers committed to Learning While Earning, student employees evolve into talented full-time employees who don’t require the time and resource investment that new, outside full-time hires do.
- Mentoring new professionals and serving as a role model, while also developing your own supervision skill set; supervisors and student employees, together, can leverage Learning While Earning.
- Leveraging financial and workplace culture benefits of employing students. On-campus employers and approved community agencies can utilize the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program to save 75% of students’ wages. On-campus employers can also take advantage of the Work Initiative Program to save on wages paid to students without an FWS award.
Benefits of Student Employment to Students
While the benefits for employers are substantial, the benefits of student employment are mutually beneficial for IUPUI students through:
- Applying course work and classroom experiences to their jobs, thereby stimulating academic, professional, and personal growth.
- Utilizing existing skill sets and developing new skills in a professional setting to equip them with necessary experience for their futures.
- Shaping their understanding of a professional environment and workplace context, including positive workplace behaviors.
- Gaining exposure to the diverse functions and career opportunities of their employers and the sectors they work within as well as exposure to the intersections of public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
- Building relationships with professional colleagues and supervisors and expanding their understanding of professionalism and approaches to work.
- Offsetting the cost of higher education through learning and earning, as well as practicing responsible financial literacy and management.
Your Partner in Student Employment
The Office of Student Employment serves as your partner in ensuring these benefits, for you and the student, come to life and are actualized through our services, events, and programs. Contact us to get started at 317-274-4856 or email@example.com.