|  Login

An essential part of the planning process is exploring and determining the financial impact employing IUPUI students can have on your department and organization. Not only can student employees contribute to the work of your department and infuse a student perspective, employing students can help offset your budget and provide meaningful work experiences to complement their studies.   

Budgeting Considerations

  • Where will the funding come from to pay your student employees and any related expenses (e.g., supplies, technology)? Will it come from your department or your school’s budget?
  • If your school or department receives grant funding, consider building in student employment opportunities into your proposals to help with the project. 
  • What other opportunities exist to offset the cost to your department for employing IUPUI students (e.g., Federal Work-Study Program, Hire Achievers Program)? 
  • When drafting a budget for your student employees and programs, do you need to build in overlapping schedules or hours to ensure coverage of a front desk area?
  • If you have or are interested in creating a tiered structure for your student employment positions by having progression opportunities, how does that impact your budget throughout the year? 
  • Do you need to budget for hiring a new student employee early in preparation for your graduating or departing student employees? 
  • What could you include in an annual report or plan containing the accomplishments of your student employees, budgets, and the amount saved through employing students?  

Setting the Wage Rate

Per Indiana University Human Resources, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, equal pay, and record-keeping laws. The federal and Indiana minimum wage rate is $7.25; all appointed and temporary staff employees of IUPUI, however, must make at least the Indiana University minimum wage of $10.15 per hour (as of July 1, 2016). Wage rates should be competitive based on the duties and responsibilities performed. The average pay rate for undergraduate student employees at IUPUI was approximately $10.82 per hour in AY 2015–2016. This is not only an important figure to acknowledge when deciding on a rate and budgeting but also in attracting student applicants when hiring. 

  • When deciding on an appropriate wage rate for a position, it is important to consider the work and skill level required for the position. Click here for our pay rate recommendations based on the level of responsibilities.
  • Departments may desire to increase student employee wage rates based on performance and increased responsibilities. Increases are subject to human resource and fiscal policies and procedures. Click here to view the policies for requesting a salary increase for an existing IU employee. You may also find the student employee pay scale example useful in discussing increases and requesting approval from HRA on a departmental-specific pay scale.
  • For questions on setting an appropriate wage rate for student employment positions, contact us at 317-274-4856 or future@iupui.edu. 

Leverage the Federal Work-Study Program

The IUPUI Office of Student Employment coordinates, in collaboration with other campus departments, the Federal Work-Study Program at IUPUI. Through this program, IUPUI departments and approved community agencies are only responsible for paying 25% of an eligible student employee’s wages. The remaining 75% is paid by the federal government. Not all students are eligible to receive a Federal Work-Study Program award to be used on a position, and award amounts can vary from student to student. All IUPUI departments are eligible to hire students through the program, other than contracted third-party businesses. Click here for additional information on the program or contact fwsjobs@iupui.edu with specific questions. 

Budgeting Tools and Resources

  • Estimating the cost to your department for employing IUPUI students and tracking that throughout each pay period is key to responsible budgeting and management, as well as communicating with your students. Use this tracking sheet (AY 2016–2017) to pre-populate anticipated hours and expenses for the term/year and input the hours worked each pay period to provide you with up-to-date budgetary figures. In addition, the tracking sheet will allow you to spread a student’s Federal Work-Study Program award out across each term.