The Hire Achievers Program is a campuswide career and professional readiness program that strengthens the experiences of student employees in on-campus positions and enhances their preparation for professional work by connecting student employment to the IUPUI Principles of Undergraduate Learning (PULs).
Departments selected to participate in this matched-funds program utilize Hire Achievers methodology in their respective student employment programs and have designated supervisors maintain established contact with their student employees based on the program timeline. The Hire Achievers methodology ensures consistent integration of the core competencies detailed below, provides structure for implementation, and requires specific interventions between supervisors and their student employee staff.
Hire Achievers is particularly impactful for departments that are new to employing students or that are interested in creating a new student employment program. Those departments completing the program requirements will be able to use the methodology to jump-start student employment within their areas and use the tools and processes in the future to continue strengthening work experiences for IUPUI students.
Hire Achievers Program Core Competencies:
Professional Persona: Students will develop a broader understanding of their professional persona, skills, working styles, and workplace preferences. Students will become aware of and will identify means to convey their professional identity and skill attainment to promote themselves as a candidate in the job market. Through experiential opportunities, students will have hands-on experiences to transition successfully from student to professional.
Professional Competency: Students will learn communication and other transferable skills most highly sought by employers, as identified by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) annual Job Outlook Survey.
How does a department participate?
Departments must apply and be accepted to participate in the Hire Achievers program. The application process includes responding to questions about the department, student employment opportunity, structure and support provided to the student(s), and position description information. The online application, linked at the bottom of this page, must be submitted by August 12, 2016, to be considered for acceptance into the program.
Departments with new student employment positions or programs, as well as those which most clearly articulate connection between employment and academics, will be most likely to be accepted into the Hire Achievers Program.
Selected departments will be required to fill submitted positions by September 30, 2016. All unfilled positions should be posted to IUPUITalent.net to solicit student applications.
All students who do not have work-study funding.
50% match of salary for up to 15 hours per week at maximum pay rate of $10.15/hour.
All students who have work-study awards on their accounts.
The departmental 25% required portion will be reimbursed for each student salary for up to 15 hours per week at maximum pay rate of $10.15/hour.
Maximum reimbursement per position will not exceed $2,741.
No participating entity (e.g., department, office, work area) will receive a reimbursement more than $11,000 in total for approved positions.
Supervisor Monitored Student Employee Requirements:
To fulfill the program requirements, student employees hired to fill approved participating positions must meet the requirements below:
- Students employed in positions must be undergraduates enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the academic term (fall and spring).
- Students must attend one session of Campus Employment Essentials for Student Employees, a training hosted by the Office of Student Employment, and four other professional development opportunities determined by the department or supervisor.
- The first Campus Employment Essentials for Student Employees training is scheduled for Friday, September 30, 2016, from 10:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. as part of IUPUI Fall Career Week.
- All IUPUI Fall Career Week (September 26–30, 2016) events and programs count as eligible opportunities.
- Students may attend any of the workshop offerings facilitated by the Office of Student Employment to count as professional development opportunities.
- Students are welcome to enroll in the 1 credit hour course UCOL-U 210 Experience in Professionalism to fulfill all the professional development requirements.
- Supervisors should have student employees clock in for all professional development requirements.
- Online pre- and post-surveys will be provided to the student employees in the participating areas and must be completed. Supervisors will be notified of those not completing surveys in a timely manner to assist with completion rates.
Departments should confirm that they can meet the requirements below before applying.
Position Submission Requirements:
- Position pay rate must be between $10.15 and $12.00 per hour for positions submitted.
- Positions may not be for more than 15 hours per week.
- Students selected for departmental positions should plan to work during the academic year (August 22, 2016, through May 14, 2017).
- Students with multiple campus jobs may only participate with one hiring department. Departments are limited to four positions.
- All unfilled or new positions should be posted to IUPUITalent.net to solicit student applications.
- Selected departments will be required to fill submitted positions by September 30, 2016.
- Supervisors must provide daily and consistent supervision of students in the program.
- Supervisors must track work hours via the Time system and professional development activities completed by students throughout the academic term.
- Supervisors for each position funded must complete the Sexual Misconduct Training: Understanding Title IX and the University's Policies and Procedures.
- Supervisors should conduct a performance evaluation once a semester for each student employee in a filled and approved position for participation.
- Supervisors must ensure student employees meet the professional development requirements listed above.
- Supervisors must abide by all IU Human Resources Policies and confirm that students submitted will not displace full-time employees.
- Supervisors should ensure that student employees do not work from home for the position during the academic term in which funds are requested. In addition, supervisors agree to ensure that students are not scheduled or expected to work during academic class times for any reason.
- Should your department be selected to participate in the program, designated supervisors for each approved position will be required to attend the Hire Achievers orientation for departments scheduled for Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 9:00–10:30 a.m. in Campus Center 307.
As a requirement of the Hire Achievers Program, departments and areas must complete program tracking in an assigned Canvas site. Each accepted proposal submitter and designated supervisor will be added to the Canvas site to access resources to assist with tracking the students’ information throughout the term along with reminders of the program guidelines. The submission dates and process for reimbursement is below.
There are 18 weeks each semester, and reimbursements will be processed at the end of the school year in May.
- Fall 2016 semester: August 22, 2016–December 18, 2016.
- Spring 2017 semester: January 9, 2017–May 14, 2017.
- Requests will be approved for a full academic year, and reimbursements will be processed in January 2017 and May 2017.
Online application must be submitted to the Office of Student Employment via the request form for review by August 12, 2016.
Click here to download the Hire Achievers application timeline
If you have questions about the Hire Achievers Program, please email email@example.com.